Let’s start by clearing up a few facts about the DUP before moving on to their Brexit game-plan
- The DUP is not a”British” party!
Westminster views the SNP as a Scottish party and Plaid Cymru as a Welsh party.
It views the DUP as a reactionary Irish party. It always has. Nothing has changed.
So the DUP are Irish in the eyes of the English, the only people that count for them!
- The DUP like to think Northern Ireland is like Yorkshire or Finchley .
Northern Ireland has its own laws, court system, legislature and government. Yorkshire and Finchley don’t. Scotland does.
Northern Ireland can leave the U K whenever a majority of its citizens chooses. Yorkshire and Finchley can’t. Scotland can.
People born in Northern Ireland have the automatic right to the nationality of another state. The people of Finchley, Yorkshire and Scotland don’t.
- Contempt for the DUP and PM May’s government has risen as DUP votes in support of the present conservative administration were bought and paid for. Unconditionally.
THE DUP’S BREXIT GAME-PLAN
- Premises: The majority of people in Northern Ireland voted to Remain in the Brexit Referendum
- The outcome of the Brexit Referendum shows DUP and the UK government cannot enforce UK customs and travel laws without stirring up trouble within “the province”
- The DUP want Northern Ireland be tied to the UK
- The DUP will follow the UK government wherever it leads, even if there is no way back.
Because the DUP’s only claims to votes are:
1) bigging up the fact they believe they are “British”
2) convincing people to share that delusion
3) maximising the distinction and divergence between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
Furthermore, they are convinced that Brexit means those two worlds of NI and the Republic will be diverging further
- Remember: If they ever approach convergence, the DUP lose out.
The DUP cannot allow the gradual Reunification of Ireland as part of moves towards ever closer union in the EU.
They seem ready to destroy the NI economy to prevent it.
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face! Just like the UK is doing with Brexit!
This is really why the DUP supported Brexit – and allegedly laundered “dark” money to do so!!
- In the year since the Brexit referendum and in the months since Article 5 was triggered the DUP has not clarified in any way, shape or form how Brexit will work for NI
Because there is no way Northern Ireland can be better off economically or politically.
That’s why the majority of people voted Remain.
- The DUP seem confident a hard border is coming after Brexit even though they ape PM May’s talk of “frictionless borders”.
And their belief in “technological solutions ” which exist only in their wishful thinking, is pitiful. They certainly do not exist at any other international frontier
It’s on a par with their ideas on creationism, and Irish Republicans and Nationalists secretly voting Unionist.
The longer the DUP focus on some unpoliceable land border, the more apparent it becomes that the security of British people is secondary to the prospect of making life as difficult as possible for border communities in Ireland. All of which constituencies voted for Sinn Fein in the 2017 UK General Election
The DUP appear to be more interested in getting the chance to destroy the livelihoods of hundreds of thousands of people along the border than providing the watertight protection and “control” that the British folk voted for in their referendum
During the Brexit negotiations the DUP envisage
- extorting a hard border from PM May’s government in return for their support
Be under no illusions – DUP relish the idea of a hard border –
They never wanted it removed.
They didn’t vote in support of the GFA/Belfast Agreement.
And since they’ve got into power in the Stormont Assembly, they have stymied every attempt to implement it.
Remember: An EU frontier running through Ireland for the sake of pandering to DUP delusions is frankly ridiculous. Why should a tiny, reactionary, minority be able to hold millions of EU citizens up to ransom?
Post-Brexit, the DUP envisage
- unlimited funds from a grateful Westminster to squander as they wish to shore up their vote with jobs and houses for Loyalists and new roads east of the Bann,
- seats in the Lords for Arlene and our Nige!
- tons of overtime for Loyalist supporters working as customs officers, border guards, policemen etc,
Just like back in the day.
- *Good service medals, RUC-type pensions and golden handshakes, handed out like sweeties!
- And above all – plenty of their very own space to play “Croppies lie down” –
unfettered as they will be without the European Court of Justice or the Charter of Human Rights, etc.
Just like back in the day!
Whatever the Outcome of the Brexit negotiations:
The DUP will probably not face any consequences . They’ll say
It’s someone else’s fault.
Anyway we had to stop themmons from getting in.
Their supporters will believe them.
Pics and Refs